THE BICYCLE OF THE OLD DAYS
snowynguyen 16.06.2011 01:42:06 (permalink)

TINH TAM 3 is the name of my school from grade 1 to 9. The year 1982-1983 marked the last school year. We formed a group of 6 girls named - My Linh, Thuy Ha, Phuong Linh, Thu Loan, Bang Tuyet and me. My name has not middle name as others except “Thi” inserted in the middle.
My Linh lived near to the teacher Tho’s house. My Linh was a Tai Chieu Chinese girl.  Thuy Ha was a daughter of the coffin shop owner. Her house had an apple tree beside the entrance gate.  Phuong Linh lived near ''Tra Men'' bridge. Thu Loan’s house was close the brigde ‘’Thien Ho ‘’. Her father was a former officer of the old regime '’prior to 75''. Her large house had many apple and tamarind trees beside the pond while Bang Tuyet’s house was a normal one which was also at the proximity of Thu Loan’s house. My house was close to the school, only two minutes of walk to the school gate. In the last school year, we quarreled and did not get along together, therefore our group went down to five, and I was alone from that time. I must learn how to compete against them. The group had My Linh who was smartest, others were normal girls. Since then I had to eat and be alone without them. I did not enjoy making other friends.  I felt sad and lonely during that school year. Among them, I paid more respect to My Linh because she was so smart. Every day I had to go back and forth to school alone. In some spare times I sat on the balcony of the second floor, looking down the road and observing people passing by because my house located on the main road leading into down town of ST. I often wished to ride a bike to the school as others, but my family had only one female bike made of stainless steel which was very heavy and was not equipped with a basket in front to carry school objects as the modern at that time. I knew at that time in Soc Trang province it had left only just a few bikes similar to that model.
At the end of the school year, Phuong Linh was awarded a certificate of merit for ''Good student ‘’.  I missed only 0.1 points in composition subject to earn that honor. Therefore my name was not in the list. I felt so sad because the system was not fair. Everyone knew our ability during the school year.  After the Award ceremony, I was ranked as ‘’ Advanced student ''. But that year we ought to study very hard in order to pass the entrance examination for HD School.
All six girls were closed friends for so many years, but with only a quarrel like a child which destroyed our relationship for entire year.  We did not talk to each other.  In the 9th grade completion examination, I sat next to Bang Tuyet, because of the same name. After completing the exam, I stopped writing and reviewed  the last time before submitting to the professor, Bang Tuyet was not able to complete yet because the topic was difficult and ''tricky‘’ from the examiner. She was afraid to earn a ''zero ‘’ note.  I was very confident in what I had done my examination. Bang Tuyet suddenly asked me:
"How to do this?’’
''Just provide general guidelines before the story of the CHI DAU happened, don’t worry about the rest we might provide the wrong answer’’.  I replied.
Then I cited to her few concrete examples, so Bang Tuyet then understood the subject and began to write.  After writing the grade 9 completion examination, I received a “very good” score but I was disappointed because I did not receive the certificate as “Good student” by school. In normal circumstances a combination of “very good” score and a “Good student” in the last school year, I could have been exempted from the entrance examination to the HD High School. Therefore I had to write the transfer exam to HD high School. Phuong Linh had also to write the exam as others. She was not an excellent student but ''Luck''.
After graduating from the grade 9, I concentrated on the preparation of entrance examination for HD high school.  On the examination day, I did very it well. My parent asked our uncle named Cu Na in Chinese’s word to check out my result by providing him my registration number.  Cu Na was also teacher of mathematics in HD high school. His real name was Quang.  After compiling all scores, Cu Na rushed to our house to inform my parent that I had  9.75 out of 10 score on Mathematics. There was a few students who received 10 over 10 score. At that time, I was very frustrated because I did not understand why I had not received 10 out 10. Nonetheless I received very high score on the entrance examination to the HD high school.
The first day of HD High school was on September 05, 1983.  I was happy with Mini bike left by my fifth sister. The bicycle was used for many years from my eldest sister to CHI HUE, CHI BAY and finally to my turn. All my sisters kept it in good condition. They cleaned it every day so shiny as bell, wheels, steel frame, rim, etc ….My father also took good care of it. Therefore I had to follow the same rules. Gradually my two older sisters went to study at Sai Gon University, then my next sister named CHI BAY and I shared the bike. She used it in morning class, I got it in the afternoon and so far. We used it carefully. My family had five boys and five girls. My father often called us as NGU LONG CONG CHUA which meant “five princesses of dragon family” when joking for fun. Five girls are separated by 2 years each except CHI HUE and CHI BAY were separated by four years. In that year CHI BAY was at the grade 12 which was the last year in high school while I started the grade 10, the first year in HD.
Back to school on the first day, I was excited because I had a chance to wear new clothes with white shirt, black pant and riding the Mini bike. I could not describe my feeling in words when standing in front of HD gate, and thought I became an adolescence girl.
When entering the school gate, we had the obligation to get off the bike and walk in to the parking lot. In the case if some stubborn boys ran the bike inside the school yard, the security guard would ask them to get off and walk with bike but not riding it. The guard knew my eldest brother in France when I had the opportunity talking to him. He was working and living in France for many years. He came back to Viet Nam in 1975 to work for HD high school as security guard. I was wondering myself why he accepted to work for Hoang Dieu. 
When my name was in the list of 10A4 class where English was the first language, I met Phuong Linh, Thu Loan, Bach Tam, My Linh, Thuy Ha of the class 10A3. Therefore we made peace once again because my class was next to theirs. We gathered together but My Linh had to leave the class/exit school early due to financial difficulties or to prepare going overseas. So our new group was reduced to five girls. I seated on the first table with Hoang Oanh, Phuong Linh and Trinh. The following table consisted of Dinh, Thinh and Ngan.  After assigning the role and responsibility (positions) in the class of the first day in school, I did not observe around for new friends. All I knew was every thing was new, new school, new class and new faces. Everything was strang to me. Only Phuong Linh, Thu Loan were my old friends, the rest of the class arrived from all the places of Soc Trang’s province such as Truong Khanh, Phu Tam, Dai Tam, etc….  Our class tutor was DUYEN and a girl named Dung who became class leader. There were 35 girls and boys in our class.
Every day, I still biked to school by bike in the afternoon and my sister used it in the morning. The bike still rolled on the road but never had any problem because we used it very carefully and my dad checked it regularly.
After a few months in HD School, I started to be accustomed to the new and made new friends. We Phuong Linh, Thu Loan and I formed a new female group and the male folks consisted of Dinh, Thinh, Ngan. All of them were tall guys but Dinh and Ngan were more handsome. One day after school, Dinh asked politely me to borrow my history book, I immediately took it out the history book from my book case and lent it to Dinh. Tomorrow after school, Dinh called me and said
“Dinh return to Tuyet the book and thanks”
I brought it home and felt something hard in my book, I had opened it and saw an envelope with a letter, love card, with some student poetry fondly :
          “She has beautiful eyes ,
          How pleased I see her ...”
I've surprisingly read it and then destroyed it immediately because if someone else or my sister could see it, I could have had a problem. From that day Dinh sent a letter to me and had a date at the class tutor’s place. Thuong was our classmate who lived with her, Thuong originated from Truong Khanh and she was known as a “good student”. We met together at class tutor’s house, we just sat and said nothing. We listened to tutor as she spoke. After that day Dinh had frequently made appointment at her house.We contacted together a short time but I did not like that way because other classmates seemed to know something happened between us. In reality there was just a usual period of study and nothing happened between us. Afterwards I was so angry to Dinh and started hating him without reason.  I hated talking to Dinh then.  I was so ridiculous because our friends tried to bring us together, then Thinh handed a letter from Dinh to me, I refused by saying:
“Do not give me letters anymore”.
These stories were only known by Dinh, Thinh, Ngan and I. No one else knew this secret.
Every day I rode the bike to school with Phuong Loan while Dinh rode his bike who was often trying to pass in front of us.  One time we heard the “bum” then he was falling and Phuong Loan was laughing “you deserved the fall and don’t try to compete with girls”.We giggled but not so loud, we were afraid that Dinh might hear it.
The grade 10th which marked the transition period from grade 9th to high school was subject to change so much from arithmetic to algebra. In general, we encountered many difficulties, some good students who had learned so well in grade 9 or elementary school became “average students” in grade 10. This was particular the case of Thuong, because Mathematics was the most difficult subject as well as Biology and Chemistry.  Therefore we had to take a complementary course which was not easy at that time. Then Thu Loan had found out a new teacher KA who lived nearby teaching Mathematics in private.  She was a new teacher therefore her method was not very good but we had no choice but to study with her. We were 5 girls who were not in the same class but we paid her the same tuition fee. I was fairly ranked in this subject. At the end of the 10th grade I receaved good marks.
The year end approached, HD’s school was organizing a gala of music performance by students.  I composed a dance scene for our class, then teacher who taught gymnastics helped us improving the dance style.  After that night we performed the gala until 10 pm. It was too late for all of us and Hoang Oanh asked us stay in her house. Then four girls stayed overnight and we informed our families by phone. That night we met her brother named Quach Huy Chien who studied in the same class of my older sister but in French group. He was a songwriter when he was only 10 years old and won the best composer prize at that time. He had a lot of skill in music, maybe because he deserved certain gene of his Father. He played guitar and I sang till almost early in the morning. Therefore we were tired and went to sleep late afterwards.
I noticed Chien since then.  I was in the afternoon class. He was in the morning class. We sometime saw each other. He rode the gray bike while mine was a Mini made of stainless steel. Some times we rode around ST city together for pleasure. My classmates started to rumour about us and Dinh felt uneasy.
The summer time came, the last day in our class we ate cake and drank beverage in an informal farewell party of the class 10A4. Quynh was our friend from other class and he knew Chien and me. He was Thuong’s boyfriend.  Quynh visited our class and played guitar, he sang very well, Dinh saw that, he thought that Quynh was my boyfriend. Dinh looked uncomfortable, everyone realized it. I got another “Advanced student” rank in this year.  It was the end of the first year in HD school.
Arriving the Grade 11th which was the second year in high school, my sister started her University in Thu Duc. Therefore she left the bike to me. Every morning, I had the responsibility to prepare tea and breakfast for my parent and  family members. I then rode bicycles to school again. My class was 11 A4 and our new teacher named Duyen who taught us in mathematics and Politics. Indeed, we are more tired at that time because that teacher lacked of mathematics teaching experience. I had to take extra courses in Physics from Anh and Mathematics from Nhi and Huong. I performed quite well in math and physic. I started getting interesred in these subjects. At the same time we were scared the current math teacher because he taught poorly. One day our Math teacher was sick, we came visiting his house in DT where it was grown a lot of vegetables and even sugar cane.  I remembered eating a piece of sugar cane he cut for us. He was so nice, but because of his bad teaching math, he could not fully convey all his ideas to students. In grade 11th class, we had to do a lot of public labor work such as digging fish ponds after school, planting potatoes and rice, etc... Dinh was an assistant class leader at that time, he helped me a lot of physical work.  One day, our school organized a quiz competition for students, Dinh, I and other friend were participating in the same group. But Dinh was so smart, he answered the question so quickly so I could not hit the bell as quick as him to provide the answer first, anyhow Dinh gave me a chance to answer to some questions. We were chatting with each other as ramblings since then. So I exchanged words with Dinh as friends.
This time, I was riding around ST with Chien. I had fewer occasions to do so because I had a lot of materials to learn, to prepare for university entrance examination. Therefore I had very limited time to meet him. My result of this year was still “Advanced student”.
That was two years with Mini bikes to HD school every day. I had to leave my bike in ST to go to SG in order to prepare my University exam next year. I missed it so much and I had to ride other bike with big wheel, because with Mini bike we could not go far in the big City like Saigon. After three summer months in SG, I came back to ST continuing the last semester of scholar year.
Chien came to my house and asked my sister to see me many times,
Chien wanted to go out with me but I don’t want to, so I accidentally said
“I have no time to go out with you any more, I have to study”
“We can go out sometimes, not always”. Chien said
          “Sorry, I cannot”
Then we separated from each others in that time. Chien was teary as I found myself guilty. But I had no feelings for him, he was just someone who showed interest in me when I was young. Saying goodbye with him and then I gave up singing since then.
In the grade 12th, our new teacher named Thanh selected only best students from different classes. Therefore my new classmates were ranked as “good students” from other classes. Our former group was left with only My Trinh, Cam Đao and Phuong Loan.  Thu Linh was transferred to another class, sitting next to My Trinh.  I learned so well.  My new class 12A1 had a male group consisting of 4 guys named Su, Hai, Tam and Anh. The latter was very smart. They were very good at Math’s, Chemistry and Biology. They dreamed to become pharmacists. No one could be better and it was almost impossible to surpass them in these materials. But my strength was on Physics and Mathematics such as Integration, Volume arithmetics (tich phan luong giac). I followed my sister’s recommendation which was to concentrate on these materials because they were the base of university mathematics. My sister gave me her math preparation work book written by teacher Huong in which questions and exercises were so well prepared and she said: “If I were able to solve all these exercises, I would pass any examination”.
I was appointed as class Treasurer (cashier).  I would not take pride of this position but accounting losses. In this year I was often sick due to hard work and so much stress in school. And we had to labour in the afternoon such as sharping bamboo to make bamboo blind for exporting purposes. Dinh always helped me since we re-established our relationship. Therefore other classmates jointed me and Dinh again. In my heart I was no longer angry and would not hate Dinh anymore except I considered him as a friend. Dinh was very good in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and had a good memory in subjects like History and Geography. He spent less time for study but understood better than me.
That year I was picked by teacher Thuan in Physic to participate in the inter-collegial competition of HG Province (HG today is splitted as CT and ST Provinces). After the competition I did not perform well in school. In the grade 12th we were very busy and working hard. I had to take extra courses in mathematics and English in order to prepare graduation examination. These four materials were compulsory - Physics or Biology, Chemistry (to be announced at the end of the semester), composition subject (as compulsory) and English, Literature, or History, Geography (to be announced last one semester). We had to concentrate on those 4 main materials in preparation of University Entrance Examination such as Mathematics, Physics, Pre-University Chemistry. My Trinh and I reviewed and did homework at my house. From then we were less interested in English and our English teacher reminded us: ''If we concentrated to pass university entrance examination but you might fail high school graduation’’
After the completion of second semester exam, the school year came to an end at HD.  Many of our courses were interrupted many courses by teachers because they were busy with other tasks as preparation and review of the examinations. Our friends My Trinh, Cam Đao and I went out of school to eat like grenade seed fruits, green tea, vermicelli in mud fish soup (bun nuoc leo) etc… We were allowed to leave school during the day because the security guard knew me while other students had to stay in class. They were chatting and talking about the future but I did not say a word because I had no idea what I will do. Trinh was my best friend and I shared my story with her but I carefully used humble words with her too. She had a good character like she never asked me my plan.
After two semesters passed by, I still got “advanced student” rank. From then I would not worry anymore about doing homework late at night, cooking early in the morning before school. A short time after, I left ST and was off to SG to prepare my University entrance exams. I left my mini bike to my sister. The bike transported us every day to Hoang Dieu school during 2 sessions. It had a lot of meanings to me and it witnessed many dates in years from our sisters because the “Five Princess of dragon family” were quite nice looking girls who were listed as “not ugly girls of HD”. We had been given the name as “long tail girl/long hairs”
After the high school completion exam, in late June I received my aunt's phone call :
“ You got  high score of high school completion exam”
I was very happy and pleased with that marks . I was finally eager in preparation for the upcoming entrance exam for university. The exams marked a tough transition period from HD High School to university for all students.
During the time I stayed in SG, I met Dinh sometimes. My father gave him my home address.  Dinh invited me for a drink when I lived in Le Van Sy street (or Truong Minh Giang street before 75).
Dinh enrolled in the University of Polytechnic (or Phu Tho previous 75) while I pursued my studies in Fisheries College.  Dinh came to our place and talked to my sister. She  liked Dinh because he was a handsome boy and followed the same profession with her. Therefore she was very interested to chat about anything related to her field of experience. He finally invited me to go out for a drink and my sister encouraged me:  “Go out with him”.
In my mind Dinh was considered as my friend, a resident of the same hometown. Nothing else. After going out several times Dinh began to beg me being his girlfriend:
“Tuyet can you be my girl friend?”
“Why?”. Ioasked
          “Because we are very close friends for a long time”. Dinh said
“Yes, we are close friend but we are not lovers”. I replied.
“Dinh insisted me to go further in our relationship.” Dinh said
“I don’t think so”. I replied.
During study in SG Dinh lived in Bach Khoa‘s dormitory while we moved to District 5.  Dinh lived near our house. Sometimes Dinh came to my place and we talked as two best friends. Our relationship as friends just stayed there and could not go further.
           Last time we met in 91-92, Dinh had no patience anymore and and said
           “Have you ever thought of loving me?”
           “No, we are always friend”. I said
            “Can we go far in our relationship more than friends? As lovers for example?”. Dinh asked
“The friendship stays as friendship which is hard to change with Tuyet”. I said
“Therefore you always think we are friends”. Dinh insisted.
“Yes, just like that”.  I laughed.
A short time later, Dinh got married and worked for a transportation company as Director in ST Province and lived a lavish lifestyle.
Summer 1997, I came back to visit again HD and gave gifts to the poor students who performed very well in school and teachers who were in financial situation. I met teachers Duyen, Ms. Anh, Ms. Thuy and Thanh. Among these teachers three of them taught our class.  I was glad at this moment because I could not have the chance to meet all these three teachers at the same time and at the same place again. I wished they would always be there and be healthy.  I might not describe all my emotions and feelings at that time comparing to the first day in this school HD.
Our bike was used by our sisters and me for a long time. I gave it back to my colleague‘s daughter because she need a bike going to school every day like I did before. Life goes on with amny ups and downs but in my heart I still want to see my old bike. Hopefully somewhere in my hometown somebody still uses this bike and loves it we did forever.
The bike of the old days no longer accompanies us and my father no longer takes care of it because he has gone forever, so the old bike. I don’t know if it still exists in good condition? Somewhere I hope it still remains intact as well as the image of my father being with five sisters who used it. I remember my father said:
“Dinh is good man, why didn’t you get married with him?”
Dinh has often contacted my sister to get my email address. We still keep in touch each other as friends.  I asked Dinh to send me his recent picture. He still looks very nice and elegant until now. I think that I've lost a childhood love of this innocent student.
I wish I could to go back to the old times finding childhood friends, school drumming, reliving old memories of love and at the corner of the class where someone looked at me in the physical training hours and riding on the bike around ST.
And that day in a warm family with five brothers and sisters who enjoy eating together with our parents, carefully listen to my father’s teaching before going to school:
          “Ride carefully, kids.”
As time passes, almost 20 years, I still think about the bike today. I think back about the school time, walking along streets in ST, the rainy and sunny days with my sister, warn love and care from my sisters which could not necessarily be described in words. Whether now we are settling in many different countries but we came from the same place. We always think of each other and sometimes I recall the old story as we talk to each others ''this old bike as our Heritage, it is our love and it has the same feelings as us. Where is it now? It still exists or it is getting older like us or maybe people throw it into a certain corner or in a pile of garbage then?
I hope the person who owns my bike now, when reading my memoir, please keep it and cherish it as a sentimental value from five sisters of HD time.

Written in the spring-2010

Chuyển nhanh đến:

Thống kê hiện tại

Hiện đang có 0 thành viên và 2 bạn đọc.
    Kiểu:
    2000-2024 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9